Expression • Fluency • Understanding
Written by Andrew Eales
- What is it that motivates us as pianists?
- Why did we start learning to play the piano? ..
- And why do we continue to play?
- What are our piano goals for the future? ..
- And how do they excite us?
- How can we motivate and inspire our students?
Ask these questions to a hundred pianists, and there’s a good chance you will hear a hundred different answers – but some common themes will most likely emerge.
In this article I am going to consider the many and complex motivations we all experience in life, focussing in on the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivations, and how each pertains to our piano playing.Continue reading The Pianist’s Motivations