Welcome to the dedicated page for piano teachers, bringing together the best resources and articles from the Pianodao website.
The best teaching can offer a unique map for each player’s piano journey, with guidance and insight at each stage.
I am pleased that alongside my own articles, several other leading teachers have written for Pianodao, expanding the range of insight. Contributors include best-selling authors Karen Marshall, Paul Harris, and many more!
Articles for Teachers
You can browse the many articles about teaching by clicking here.
And here are some popular highlights:
Basic principles and approaches for piano teaching:
- Sound Before Symbol: Lessons from History
- Personalised Learning
- The Problem with Method Books
- Lesson Planning? A Voyage of Discovery Paul Harris
- Playing the Piano “for fun”
General Teaching Articles:
- The Playful Piano Teacher
- Piano Lessons: More than a Commodity
- A Policy for the use of touch
- Returning to Learning – the need to reflect
- Skype? Piano Teaching Mark Polishook
Teaching Tips and Strategies:
- Rhythm Games (with Free downloadable flashcards)
- Improvising and Composing: The Eight Chord Trick
- A Practical Guide to teaching sight-reading Karen Marshall
- Developing Performing Skills Roberta Wolff
- 10 Important Memory Tricks Sofie Kay
Motivation & Practice:
- Let’s Talk about Practice Expectations
- Initiating Practice – including free printables Roberta Wolff
- Teaching pupils how to practise Roberta Wolff
- Time to rethink Practice Notebooks?
- Motivation: One size doesn’t fit all Karen Marshall
Pianodao has developed a reputation for balanced, independent reviews of sheet music and educational publications.
The following reviews focus on Beginner Books, Piano Methods, Examination materials, Sight-Reading and Music Theory resources and Practice tools. These offer in-depth analysis and encourage the critical thinking that is essential for all teachers:
Browse all Reviews of Educational Resources »
Also check out Book Reviews here »
And if you are a piano teacher looking for support, feel free to contact me.
And remember to also visit:
I hope you will find plenty that interests, inspires and challenges you, as well as the support here that you are looking for.